Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Caring Tongue

I don't usually post introspective thoughts, but I felt compelled to share this with you. Many of you don't know that Peter and I left our former church and are now attending a new church. As our new pastor was preaching weeks ago he mentioned a book he had read entitled "The Family Blessing" by Rolf Garborg. I love to read and during the service I jotted this title down thinking I may get this book one day. Well, that day came and I purchased it (on half.com for $4.00 if you're interested). I received the book in the mail and it literally lay beside my bed for weeks unopened. I didn't know why I hadn't started reading it because usually I dive right into them, but this time I didn't. Weeks go by and I found myself with a little time on my hands which is unusual. I had picked up Isabella from mom's house and she took a nap right when I got home. That left me with a little free time to find something to do. (wash clothes, do dishes, clean up my bedroom, etc.) Among all those things to do I picked a few and realized she was still asleep when I got done! So, since I rarely have extra time left over I thought this would be a good time to sit down and spend some time with Jesus. I don't why I didn't first, but I guess it doesn't matter now. I absolutely love my study/prayer time with Jesus once I'm settled enough in His presence. With me it's taken a long time to "be still" before the Lord and hear His voice, but I'm trying to do better. So, I had no idea what to read in His word. I just flip through the proverbs and came across a title on the side bar "The Caring Tongue". It listed scriptures about how Christians ought to speak. As I've learned many times before "The tongue can bring life or death, and you will eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21. I wrote down the Scriptures that pertained to things we should speak.

    • Proverbs 10:32 The godly speak words that are helpful....
    • Proverbs 12:18 ..the words of the wise bring healing
    • Proverbs 12:25 ..an encouraging word cheers a person up
    • Proverbs 15:23 Everyone enjoys a fitting reply, It is wonderful to say the right thing at the right time.
    • Proverbs 16:24 Kind words are like honey..sweet to the soul and healthy to the body.
    • Proverbs 25:15 Soft speech can crush strong opposition.
    • Proverbs 27:9 The heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as perfume & incense.
I couldn't help myself but to think "Why do I say the things I say, good or bad?" "What am I speaking that brings life into other people?" "Am I harming them by my words, or am I speaking things that are positive and helpful into their life or situation?"

Why do we say the things we say? Is it because of stress, thoughtless chatter, anger, frustration, or just selfishness? After all, we're only human.

Amanda and I have actually had this conversation before last year. Do we speak just to be heard or do we really carefully plan our words and make them count? I've never forgotten that conversation. She really made me stop and think about this in my own life. Thanks sis, I needed your words of wisdom that day!

So, back to the book I purchased. As I was studying the Word, the Lord reminded me of that book. I went and got it and lo and behold it was all about speaking blessings over your family and your children's life! What perfect timing God has to work everything out for our good.

I realized not only did I want to speak words that are meaningful and helpful to others, but I also wanted to use my words to bless Isabella and her life. The book talks about not just thinking about words, but actually speaking them into existence. Once spoken, as Galborg puts it, the words have a life of their own. (for good or evil) I hope Peter and I will learn how to bless Isabella every night with spoken blessings. I know those blessings spoken over her will show up in her own character and personality one day. The blessings can never be retracted. Once spoken, that's it. I want my words to count in my life. God never fails us. May He bless your family too!

2 comments:

Gigi 2008 said...

Dear Heather. What a beautiful entry. I know the absolute only time I felt that I totally and truly failed my child was when Amanda was a teenager and I told her that I hated her right then. She was crushed. In trying to explain what I meant, I had to find the words to tell her that I "hated" her attitude, her statements, her choices, etc. but never her as a person. It is so very hard to find the right words to speak to your young children when you are frustrated, angry or have totally lost control of your child. More times than not, just thinking out your statements before you say them will save much hurt in the long run. I've never forgotten that moment, I am sure she hasn't either. But, in the end of things, she knew that I loved her no matter what, because I took the time to explain myself in the proper words and make sure that God led my voice as I spoke. We cannot always do this properly, we just have to make sure that our child remembers that we took the time to explain ourselves. I don't think I said "because I said so" very much without explaining the why behind it. Even the little children of the world deserve an explanation and I think we adults lose sight of that. Even with Isabella, when I tell her "no no" I say why so that she can understand that I love her, and I'm not just being mean. God tells us "no no" often, be we know that He loves us and that is why He is protective. I am so proud to see your growth in your writings, the peace that comes with knowing that every day we get stronger, smarter and closer to He who is closest to us! I love you. Mom

Anna Phillips said...

Heather - Thank you for that entry. I've been having lots of the same thoughts myself, and my sister was the one that brought up this to me as well. Thank the Lord for sisters!!
I think it's so important to speak things into existence, and I feel that when we do speak things out loud, they become more powerful, and I believe that Satan trembles especially when we speak God's Word out loud. I need to start doing that more often!!!
By the way, tell your sweet mom "thank you" for her precious comment on my blog. That meant the world to me.