Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Living Above the Line

Well, today marks my official last day off for the summer. Tomorrow I head back to MCE and get ready for a new school year. I went to an inservice today entitled "Quantum Learning". It was all about how to understand our brain and how children learn best based on brain research. I guess I have to admit I wasn't thrilled to be at an inservice on my last day of summer vacation, however, as the morning went on until lunch I realized there was more here than just learning about the brain. I sat and listened to this woman talk about living "above" the line. She took some time talking about this and how we as adults can use them in our own personal life as well as the classroom. Above the line meant joy, power, and freedom. Below the line was denial, justifying inappropriate actions, and having a don't care attitude. The line itself represented "choice". We choose how to respond to life, either with a bad attitude, or a realization that even if we don't like the situation we're in, this was it, and we are to make the very most of every opportunity, even if we don't agree or like it. Or even if it is hard. We accept it, we choose to have a good attitude, we choose to not go around and talk negative to others or about others. I could literally feel my heart beating and an anxious feeling come over me. I knew the Holy Spirit was speaking to me. I began to realize this whole Quantum Learning idea was Jesus. He is our example of how to live "above" the line. I turned to my friend and co-worker and said this is all about HIM, without the speaker actually saying it because we're in a public school system. There was much more to this inservice than what I've just shared and I am so very glad I went to it. I know I will be blessed this year because the Lord has gone before me and prepared my way for a great year. Regardless of how difficult it may be at times, I have to take ownership of my attitude and my actions and not blame it on anyone or anything else. And most of all I have to make sure I resemble living "above" the line for my students and my family as Jesus did for us.

No comments: